Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) Site Safety Plus is a five-day course which provides project managers, site managers and supervisors, business proprietors and client-based personnel with the knowledge and skills to enable them to ensure healthy and safe conditions for construction site employees.
It covers all relevant legislation affecting safe working in the building, construction and civil engineering industries. It highlights the need for risk assessment in the workplace, the implementation of the necessary control measures and adequate communication to sustain a health and safety culture within the workforce.
It is endorsed by Build UK as the standard training for all supervisors working on Build UK sites and provides an understanding of health, safety, welfare and environmental issues. It highlights legal responsibilities and the need to promote health and safety to supervise effectively.
- The Health and Safety at Work Act
- Construction Design and Management (CDM) Regulations
- Risk assessments/method statements
- Recent changes in accepted working practices
- Behavioural safety
- Management of occupational health
- Working at height
- Confined spaces
At the end of the course you will be able to:
- implement all health, safety, welfare and environmental legislation affecting your daily work
- implement new guidance and industry best practice
- state your duties and responsibilities with regards to health, safety, welfare and the environment
Certification for this course is valid for 5 years. To remain certified in this area, you will need to take a refresher course before the expiry date on your certificate, otherwise the full course will need to be retaken.
IMPORTANT SMSTS REFRESHER CHANGES
Candidates must take an SMSTS Refresher course before their existing certificate expires, otherwise the full SMSTS course will have to be taken again. The six month grace period that used to be in place will cease to exist from 1st January 2016.