Site Supervisors’ Safety Training Scheme (SSSTS) Site Safety Plus is a two-day course that is intended for those who have, or are about to acquire, supervisory responsibilities. It provides supervisors with an understanding of health, safety, welfare and environmental issues, as well as their legal responsibilities relevant to their work activities. It will highlight the requirement to promote health and safety to supervise effectively.
The SSSTS course is endorsed by Build UK as the standard training for all construction supervisors.
Aims & Objectives
To ensure that all those given supervisory responsibilities understand:
- why they are carrying out their identified duties
- what is expected of them
- how they contribute to the safety of the workplace
At the end of the course delegates will be able to:
- understand the problems of the industry
- explain how health and safety law is structured, and how it applies to supervisors
- identify how their supervisory role fits in with the management structure in controlling the site safely
- carry out risk assessments and understand the need for method statements
- carry out effective site inductions, toolbox talks and method statement briefings
- monitor site activities effectively understand the importance of timely intervention when bad practice is identified
Delegates should hold or be about to hold the role of a supervisor. Delegates must be competent in English at site supervisor level.
Assessment will be by an exam paper and the completion of a case study exercise. The examination paper is compulsory and consists of 25 questions, selected by CITB, covering all aspects of the course.
The examination pass mark is 80% (24 out of 30).
The paper consists of 22 multiple choice questions and 3 short written questions. There are 4 safety critical questions in each exam paper. The delegate must get all 4 of these questions correct to pass the exam. The multiple choice questions are worth 1 point each, whilst written questions can score between 12 marks.
The exam paper forms part of the overall assessment as to whether or not a delegate has successfully achieved a satisfactory level of understanding to be awarded the Site Supervision Safety Training Scheme (SSSTS) certificate.
The examination lasts for 30 minutes and must be completed within this time.
Further information about this course is available in the Scheme Rules
*Important SSSTS Refresher changes
Candidates must take an SSSTS Refresher course before their existing certificate expires, otherwise the full SSSTS course will have to be taken again. The six month grace period that used to be in place ceased as of 1st January 2016.